The City of Clarksville is an “Equal Opportunity Employer.” Clarksville Fire Rescue is not accepting applications at this time.
Testing & Employment Process
Clarksville Fire Rescue tests for firefighters once a year. All segments of the testing process are pass/fail.
Written Standardized Test - This test measures reading comprehension, listening comprehension, and math skills. You must score at least 70% in each category to pass.
Physical Ability Test - This test tests a person’s endurance and ability to perform basic strenuous tasks that professional firefighters must perform. There are seven tasks that must be completed in seven minutes or less. These tasks consist of:
- Attic Crawl
- Hose Pull
- Hydrant Operation
- Ladder Extension
- Ladder Handling
- Mannequin Pull
- Simulated Roof Ventilation
- Oral Interview by Review Board
- Oral Interview by Fire Chief
The Fire Chief selects the applicant that will be given a conditional offer of employment. This offer is contingent upon the applicant’s successful completion of the background check, physical exam, drug/alcohol screening, and psychological exam. Applicants will be placed on an active hiring list for a period of one year.
Note: Clarksville firefighters work 24 hour shifts to include nights, weekends, and holidays and are subject to call in when off-duty.
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Minimum high school diploma or general educational development (GED)
- No felony conviction
- Possess valid Tennessee driver’s license
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Completely fill out application for employment and authorization to release information
- Pass extensive background check
- Pass drug screen as well as random testing
- Beginning salary - $35,815
- State retirement plan
- Paid vacation leave
- Medical and dental insurance
- Longevity pay
- Earned sick leave
- Uniforms and equipment provided
- Military, reserve, and national guard leave